Sunday, December 9, 2012

December 9, 2012 - Locket


My sister-in-law asked for a photo of this locket to use in a post on her blog.  Seemed simple enough!  However I found that each shot that I took seemed to be out of focus.  I was using a tripod and a release cable, so I could not figure out why this was happening.  So I increased the shutter speed, added light and locked the mirror in the up position, but the shots still seemed out of focus.  So I gave up for a while and watched the football game (Vikes beat the Bears!).

Then it hit me:  When using a tripod, you should turn off stabilization!  I knew this, but have never experienced a problem before when leaving it on.  So I set up the shot again, turned off both stabilization on the lens and auto-focus.  I manually focused and took several more shots, the best of which is the one displayed above.

Anyone have any additional suggestions as to how I could have made this clearer?  I could have increased the ISO to get a faster shutter speed, but when I tried this it didn't seem to improve the focus, plus I got noise.

HDR:                    No
Exposure:           1/60 sec
Aperture:             f/8
ISO:                     100
White Balance:   Auto
Metering:            Matrix
Flash:                  Yes - Off-camera
Stabilization:      Tripod (Lens stabilization off; Manual focus)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm glad I asked you for this photo since it seemed to serve as source for a lesson - one that didn't involve remembering how cold it gets outside in Minnesota in December.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chain works well for leading lines and leaving the chain out-of-focus also helps me "focus" on the locket itself.

    In the old days, I'd have reversed my lens and used it as a macro lens - holding the lens and camera together and shooting a manual mode. It's far easier to add a close-up lens today - which also allows use of the tripod for stability.

    Looks like you could have benefitted from more DOF. I'd go with more even non-flash lighting and stop down as far as possible. Focus stacking could also help but is a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete